Thursday, February 02, 2006

Motivation

It's February now, and I can't believe we're four weeks into this semester already. The way the schedule is set up at our school, we had exams in December, then we started class again the second week of January. I wasn't motivated then, and I don't feel motivated now.

I don't know what it is, but this semester has really felt like a drag. I know I said I was going to do things differently in 2006, but so far it feels a lot like 2005. The bottom line is, I just don't have a lot of motivation to do work. I got a lousy grade in one of my classes, and the exam is six weeks away, yet I only have 3 pages of the outline done (which will probably come to 30). I come back to my apartment from class at about 3:00, after our last class, and I sit on my rear end watching TV, playing video games, or doing anything but what I should be doing. It hurts to say this, but I have lost my mojo.

I don't know what I need to do, but I have to get a fire lit under me to work in law school. I do OK, but I need to be exceptional. What really hurts is that I know I am capable of great things if I can just overcome how overwhelmed I feel right now.

Today in class, one of our professors talked about a general principle of the legal profession (which probably applies to a lot of other professions too): the more time you put into being a law student, or being a lawyer, the more success you have. I understand that to be true, yet why do I handicap myself by not doing more? I should be 100% devoted to law school right now, yet I feel torn between spending time with family, recreation, time with God, and a host of other things. I know I am in law school for one reason, and one reason only, and that is to serve the Lord in some capacity. I just wish I knew how to light the fire, or to ask Him to help me get motivated, and I hope it will happen soon.

No comments: