Tuesday, May 16, 2006

On Engaging

This is the third post in which I will discuss my goals for 2006. Here, I will cover my two main social goals for this year, to get in better physical shape and better balance my law school activities to have more social interaction with others.

1) Getting in better shape will improve my life from a number of angles. First, losing some weight will give me more endurance for studying. I will be able to put in longer days and have more stamina for late-night study sessions and the demanding schedule with which I will be faced in the fall. Second, the extent to which I am in shape has spiritual consequences. If I work out frequently, I will sleep better, have more energy, and be better prepared for my labors, and for everyday ministry on the Lord's behalf.

How have I been doing in working towards this goal? I am in better shape than at the beginning of the semester, and have lost some weight, but there is still a long way to go. I am optimistic that this summer will give me the opportunity to get in even better shape for the challenges facing me this fall. When I get back to school in August, I plan to do a better job of getting to the gym regularly to exercise, hopefully with some classmates.

2) The most important way to have more social interaction with others is to get more active and plugged into a church community. I have been attending a young adult service at a local church on Sunday nights, and found a small group to attend on Friday nights, but I plan to really get active in the church community in the fall.

In addition to the volunteer work I started this semester at a local legal clinic, I would like to find a way to volunteer through a church activity at least once a week (maybe in a non law-related activity such as a soup kitchen). I need to do this to keep a sense of perspective about the world and interact with people outside of a law school or law-related setting. Ultimately volunteering will make me a better person and a more mature Christian, by reminding me who is the Source of life and opportunity.

No comments: