Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Reading List

Now that I have attended Phase I of the Blackstone, I plan to greatly increase my extracurricular reading, either for learning or entertainment. Right now, I am reading David Barton's "Original Intent: The Courts, the Constitution, & Religion," about the Founding Fathers and their attitudes on the role of Christianity and religious principles as applied to the First Amendment and civic government. I am about 60% of the way through it, and will have a post about it soon.

Also, any new posts about "Reading" will just have the name of the book, instead of "part 3," "part 4," and so on. This is so I can balance my learning between history, law, Christian apologetics, fiction, and other related fields.

It is difficult to keep up with all of the books I want to read, particularly those that were recommended to us during Phase I. It seemed as though after every speaker gave his or her presentation, I had about 3 or 4 new books to add to the list. But even if it takes the rest of law school, I plan to read them all. For now, though, here are some of the books I plan to make a priority to read before the end of the year:

Blackstone's "Commentaries."

"Christianity and the American Commonwealth" by Charles Galloway.

"Christianity and Culture" by J. Gresham Machen.

"Rhetoric" by Aristotle.

"Prince Caspian" and any other entries in the "Narnia" series, by C.S. Lewis.

No comments: