Sunday, July 09, 2006

Summer of 2006, pt. 6

Dispatches from Columbus, since I am staying at my apartment this weekend:

- Cincinnati is a nice city. I had only been through the city once before this summer, coming home from a trip to Florida, and I didn't get a chance to see it. This past week, I went downtown with the attorney I am working for to observe a deposition, and I got to see the area down by the river. Some of the landmarks I plan to visit: the Taft House and Museum, the Newport Aquarium, the Cincinnati Zoo, and of course go to a Reds game. There is an area on the Kentucky side of the river, called Newport-on-the-Levee, that has stores, restaurants, etc., kind of like Easton here in Columbus.

- I met with my treasurer today to discuss our plans for the Moritz chapter of the Christian Legal Society. We are planning to focus on reaching out and serving-the components of integrating our faith with our work as law students and, soon to come, lawyers.

Every other Thursday night throughout the semester, we will be having a Bible study, that is open to all students. We are still discussing topics, but my goal is to make all parts of Scripture relevant to our lives as Christians, not just as law students. I plan to cover topics that may have seemed “off limits” to Christians in the past. For example, what does the Bible have to say about our use of the Internet and modern technology? What does the Word say about what we should do in our spare time? There are countless ways to relate the Bible to everyday life, and I intend to use them as a way for us to relate to each other as Christians moving with confidence through law school, the trial of our faith.

We will also be looking for ways to serve others. For this, we have to find a way to get out of our comfort zones and address the needs of a world around us that is starving for the Gospel, and for the saving grace of Jesus Christ. More to be announced soon, but suffice it to say that where God leads us, we will follow.

One other point I plan to emphasize this year is that everyone, regardless of denomination, theological or political beliefs, or even whether believers or not, is welcome at Christian Legal Society. I want to emphasize this not to water down the message of Christ, but to show how relevant it is to everyone who walks through the door. Each of us is responsible, in our own way, for putting Christ on the cross, and we all need His forgiveness. My task, as president of the group, is not only to provide leadership and direction for our community of faith, but to create the conditions where the Holy Spirit can work in our hearts, and where everyone knows they are loved and being prayed for.

Look for more updates on Christian Legal Society coming this fall.

- Good news for the Cavs: LeBron James agreed to the contract extension today, which means he will be playing in Cleveland through the 2012-2013 season. This is some of the best news Cleveland sports fans like me can get right now, because I said earlier that as long as the Cavs can sign LeBron long-term, they will have an excellent shot at winning a championship, provided they keep a solid core of talent around him.

Now they need to re-sign Drew Gooden, and settle the situation at guard. The two new draft picks sound like they could be contributors next season, and they will need to find an impact player to replace Flip Murray, who will be leaving through free agency. Ultimately, though, the future looks promising, and I have a feeling the next great rivalry in the Eastern Conference will be between the LeBron-led Cavs and the Dwayne Wade-led Heat.

No comments: