Monday, August 07, 2006

Summer of 2006, pt. 10

Now back in Phoenix for Phase III:

- I showed my devotion to country music today. We had a talent show tonight, the Fellowship Follies, that had just about everything. The highlights for me were a tuxedo-clad harmonica player, a performance of the "who's on first" routine by Abbott and Costello, and a hilarious video some of the interns put together about their experience in Dallas, a parody of "The Real World." But first prize goes to my rendition of Toby Keith's "How Do You Like Me Now" that definitely brought down the house.

I sing loudly. I couldn't find the karaoke tape in Phoenix, so I just bought the CD and sang over it. At least one person told me afterwards that they never heard the vocals from the CD. That means I still have it-the booming bass from high school choir and madrigals.

It seems like the older I get, the less I listen to new music. Some of it I like (the exceptions to this rule are Christian and country), but most of it just isn't as good. I started out with Tears For Fears and Modern English from the 80's, and now I listen to classic country, 70's, and Motown. Eventually I am going to be listening to those old hand-cranked record players (Victrollas maybe, but I'm not sure what they're called) and tape recording a bard.

- Reading wise, I just started reading "The Pilgrim's Progress" by John Bunyan yesterday. It might take a week or two to get through it, but I will have a post on it soon. The books in the reading queue now are, in this order: "The Myth of a Christian America" by Rev. Gregory Boyd (not agreeing, but I will read it to address the arguments made by the other side). Ron Chernow's biography on Alexander Hamilton, and then I plan to begin reading Blackstone's "Commentaries." Instead of reviewing Blackstone, I will try to weave summaries into my general posts.

- Journal orientation began today, 1,800 miles from where I am now. I read the style guide today to get caught up on the editing work we will be doing this year, so I know a little more about the gargantuan editing assignment (and gargantuan to-do list) that will be waiting for me when I get back to Columbus.

- We haven't gotten into the lecture portion of Phase III yet, but it's supposed to be fantastic, with many prominent members of the legal community coming in to present for us. Many of the presentations will involve building personal and professional relationships-how to get a clerkship, how to become a Blackstone Fellow, and so on. More as the week unfolds.

No comments: