Monday, February 05, 2007

Music, Books, and Life

An update from Akron, before I return from my Super Bowl weekend at home:

- It's official: I will be attending the Acton Institute conference, "Toward a Free and Virtuous Society," in West Cornwall, Connecticut later this year. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this will be an intensive three-day program where I will gather with other scholars from theology, economics, and other fields to discuss the relationship between social and economic policies, such as assistance to the poor, and our God-given rights, such as freedom of religion. I am excited to be receiving books and other materials related to the conference, which should come in the mail closer to the conference date, and to gain knowledge in these fields I can use later in life. Plus, any time I can add to my bookshelves is a cause for celebration, especially given my limited resources while in school. I will probably post about it when I return.

- The "music" in the title is the soundtrack from the movie "Gettysburg," one of my favorite movies and CD's, the latter of which I finally bought this week at Barnes and Noble. So far, it has been worth every penny: a great score by composer Randy Edelman, to punctuate the historical importance of the great battle. The music from "Gettysburg" is becoming sort of a background for my life in general, since I consider law school a moral, intellectual, and spiritual crossroads, and a pivotal moment, perhaps the pivotal moment, of my life.

- On a lighter note, I was glad to see Tony Dungy and the Colts win the Super Bowl earlier tonight. I knew he and Bears coach Lovie Smith are both Christians, and I was impressed with what he said upon accepting the trophy, talking about the role his faith played in bringing his team to the championship game and coming out on top. Of course, the secular media did their best to try and weed it out of all the quotes (case in point-see the Associated Press article at http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070205/ap_on_sp_fo_ga_su/fbn_super_bowl), but that didn't stop millions of people from hearing what he had to say on TV. I'm glad he mentioned God in his speech, and I'm sure Smith would have done the same thing if he had won.

- So far, my goal for 2007 to lose weight is coming along well. I have been working out in the fitness room in my apartment building regularly, at least since last week, and have been trying to eat better, including more fruits and vegetables. I have decided that the most important reason to lose weight is for myself-not so that someone else will accept me for who I am, because who I am now is the same person I will be after the weight is off. This time, I am doing it for myself-so that I can take better care of the body God has provided me, and so that I will have more energy to live as He has called me to do, and more confidence as I move forward. That being said, I am excited about the results that I have seen so far-I sleep better, have fewer muscle aches and joint pains, and generally more energy to get through the day.

- Tomorrow, we receive the problem for the Moot Court competition in Criminal Procedure, which will be held in Newark, New Jersey next month. So far, all we know is that our team, me and two other students, will produce an appellate brief and argue the case in front of a panel of judges. It sounds the same as our Appellate Advocacy class, only the stakes are much higher, and the topic is one I may have to do a little more research on ahead of time. That being said, I am thankful for the opportunity to explore a new area of law. Evidently, God wants me to go to New Jersey next month, and I resolve to do my best and not let Him down.

No comments: