Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Summer of 2007, part 1

I am finally back on the posting wagon, after a long absence. Here is a quick update of what I have been up to in the past month or two.

I have been working for the U.S. Attorney's office here in Columbus this summer; in particular, the Civil Division. It has been a great experience-I have gotten to work on a variety of different projects, including both research and writing. This has been the first time I have had the opportunity to draft motions for the court, and really see firsthand the impact I am having on cases. In one instance, I got to sit in on a pretrial conference in which the judge would decide how he would rule on motions. It was very gratifying to me to hear the attorney cite the cases from the memo I had prepared, even though these kinds of meetings will be routine in my life as an attorney.

Also, I have gone back to the Vineyard, after having tried other churches in the area. I have found a great men's group there that meets on Saturday mornings, and I am excited about getting together with them once a week to learn Scripture and have fellowship with other guys my age who are fellow believers.

I haven't gotten to do a lot of traveling so far this summer, except back and forth on I-71 between Akron and Columbus. I am planning a couple of trips for later this summer, though. Later this month, I am planning to head down to Cincinnati for a day, to see the Cincinnati Zoo, go back to Newport-on-the-Levee, and possibly go to a Reds game or King's Island.

If I get a chance, I will try and coincide this trip with the Sixth Circuit's oral argument schedule. I have been externing with Judge R. Guy Cole on the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals this summer, doing research on cases and preparing a bench memorandum, which will be used by other judges to give an overview of the factual background and the legal issues prior to issuing a decision on a case. It would be great if I could see oral argument on at least two or three cases, not just to gain some general legal knowledge, but also to watch some experienced practitioners in the craft in which I hope to engage after graduation.

I am also in the process of applying for judicial clerkships. My goal is to clerk for either a federal Magistrate, District, or Circuit Judge, or for a state court judge in Ohio, either with the Ohio Supreme Court, Ohio Court of Appeals, or a county Court of Common Pleas. I am putting this to prayer, and am going to work hard to show the judges to whom I am applying that I will do a great job as a clerk.

No comments: