Monday, March 20, 2006

Cincinnati, Ohio

Before I talk about the reason behind the title, I owe anyone reading this an apology for taking down a post recently. It was about the Blackstone Legal Fellowship, in which I will be participating this summer. It was partly because I had been told that people were ridiculing what I had to say, and partly because I didn't want to seem like I was boasting. This will be the last time that anything is deleted from here because of rumors or hearsay. When you have a blog, you have to be honest with yourself.

The Blackstone Fellowship is offered through the Alliance Defense Fund, a Christian legal defense organization based in Scottsdale, Arizona. It consists of three phases. During Phase I, I will be heading out to Arizona during the latter part of June for education and training, where we will learn about the Judeo-Christian foundations of our legal system. For Phase II, I will be working for an attorney in Cincinnati who works with the ADF on constitutional issues. Finally, for Phase III, I will be going back to Arizona for a week, for further training and education. The program is designed to give Christian law students a solid grounding in God's Truth as it applies to the intellectual foundations and practice of law, and to network with other students and legal professionals as we gain practical experience.

A side note to any entering or current law students-this is a great opportunity if you are interested in serving God through the practice of law. A good place to start is with your school's chapter of the Christian Legal Society. It is a huge blessing to have other Christians with whom I can share the law school experience. And Blackstone interns work all over the country, with various attorneys, policy organizations, etc., so there are lots of opportunities to get involved.

I am really excited about the opportunities coming up this summer, and I am eager to get started with the work that lies ahead. I am not quite sure yet what exactly I will be working on, but one of the lessons I have learned this first year of law school is that the expectancy is sometimes the best part of the journey. One of my spiritual weaknesses has always been that I am overly analytical and try too hard to do everything by the book, instead of by God's book.

As hard as it is to have unanswered questions, as difficult as it is to walk by faith, I am going to reach out more often, because God's will for my life is infinitely beyond anything I could bring to bear or conceive.

"Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, / Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen." (Ephesians 3:20-21 KJV).

No comments: